Hameg 203-6 Day 1

Long ago I bought 2 Hameg 20mhz Oscillosopes from eBay, most likely as a job lot spares or repairs, in the hope that I might make one good one out of the pair.

As it turned out they were not identical the other one is a slightly newer model 203-7. Fortunately that one does work, not perfectly but has been usable enough for my needs.

Both items have been sat in storage for years now, but my new found interest in my old hobby and profession necessitated my seeking them out and using on my multipurpose computer desk come work bench.

The 203-6 had never worked since the day I got it. As it is sitting there I recently decided to see if I could find the problem. Or more accurately problems.

The first was it had no trace at all and the trigger selector switch was sticky and had been poorly gummed in place by someone trying to repair it. I disassembled the and cleaned off the “hot snot” that had been applied.

The multi position selector had been abused and all the little notches were jamming. This must have been the case for some time and was the likely cause of the connecting support for the chassis being snapped. Hence the “hot snot” which looked to have been squirted in from the side without disassembly.



This did not completely restore operation but at the end of a long evening I did have a faint and very blurred trace.

Posted in Fixes and Bodges, Hameg 203-6 Project, Projects

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *